As the time comes near for Americans to make joyous festive noises celebrating our independence comes a cautionary tale:
The Detroit News: Walled Lake man dies after putting firework next to head
Walled Lake — A 47-year-old man died Sunday night after jokingly placing a powerful firecracker to his head, believing that it wasn't lit. It was.
As one would expect, alcohol was involved, as was the reckless handling of a powerful firework. That's one very dead man killed in a most stupid and avoidable act of negligence, in front of his family no less. It's a serious waste of a life for no reason whatsoever.
Just like firearms, fireworks and alcohol do not mix.
While a low order explosive, fireworks are still explosive devices and need to be handled with care and a healthy respect for the power they contain.
Be safe and careful out there and enjoy setting off your fireworks, but don't let your celebration end up as a warning to others of what not to do.